Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Mark which must be Mine

Afternoon on a Hill

I will be the gladdest thing
Under the sun!
I will touch a hundred flowers
And not pick one.

I will look at cliffs and clouds
With quiet eyes,
Watch the wind bow down the grass,
And the grass rise.

And when lights begin to show
Up from the town,
I will mark which must be mine,
And then start down!

~Edna St. Vincent Millay (1887-1985)

-In what kind of house would the Pulitzer Prize winning poet (1923) live?
-How would she decorate it, inside and out?
-Where would she sit to muse and write her beloved poetry?
-How would she interact with her neighbours?

Finally Millay in the above poem writes that on the top of the hill in the midst of her joyous experience, "I will mark which must be mine." That, I believe, is not just where she lives, but what she holds closest to her heart.

What do you mark as yours?

This is my submission to Magpie Tales this week. Congratulations to Tess Kinkaid and the one year anniversary of this very successful writers' forum.