Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My Fragile Immortality

Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.  ~ Maya Angelou

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life.  ~ W. Somerset Maugham

Where does your security lie? Is God your refuge, your hiding place, your stronghold, your shepherd, your counselor, your friend, your redeemer, your saviour, your guide? If He is, you don't need to search any further for security.  ~ Elisabeth Elliot

From my spirit's gray defeat,
From my pulse's flagging beat,
From my hopes that turned to sand
Sifting through my close-clenched hand,
From my own fault's slavery,
If I can sing, I still am free.

For with my singing I can make
A refuge for my spirit's sake,
A house of shining words, to be
My fragile immortality.  ~ Sara Teasdale


Quotes about refuge, life